When I first met Don DiNapoli (of Prototype Ent and now my partner with Istandard, Inc.) we felt each other out (pause) musically. See Don is an Italian kid from Jersey whose roots are in rock and I'm a black kid from North Philly whose roots are in hip-hop. The funny thing is we both have a love for the others main genre. Our biggest similarity is that in 93 we both fell in love with that other genre for good. His album of choice was Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" and mine was Stone Temple Pilot's "Core". Now I had listened to rock here and there and I had songs I liked from groups such as Guns N Roses, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam but never had I enjoyed an entire album on some serious shit. Along comes Weiland and Co. with their hard drums, sick riffs and melodic songs giving me one of my favorite albums of all time. I rocked out to all three albums before the breakup in 03. Scott went off too Velvet Revolver with everyone from GNR not named Axel Rose and the DeLeo brothers went off to Army of Anyone for a few albums. Thank god they got back together. Thank you is out with the greatest hits and a new album is on the horizon. As long as the STP formula stays the same, this kid will be copping it and hopefully catching a live show. In the meantime I have commissioned Rhythm J Arrucci of Crush Rock (White Stripes "Icky Thumb flip) fame to create a funky mash up jawn from STP. Be on the lookout. In the meantime check out my fave of all time.. Plush from STP. This jawn got me thru a few rough patches!

Plush - Stone Temple Pilots

0 comments: